S8 Episode 5: How the Arizona Teachers Academy is Advancing the Teaching Profession in Our State
If you’re currently preparing to become a teacher or are in your first several years of teaching in Arizona, you don’t want to miss all of the information in today’s episode!
Hosts Donnie and Kathleen welcome several guests to today’s episode of 3Ps in a Pod to give a full rundown of the several parts of the Arizona Teachers Academy. Governor Doug Ducey initiated this program a few years ago that aims to recruit, support, and retain Arizona teachers. The Arizona Teachers Academy includes several pieces: tuition and fee waivers for education students, mentoring and induction support, Beginning Teacher Series professional learning opportunities, and National Board Certification.
3Ps hosts Donnie and Kathleen talk with Arizona K12 Center Teachers Academy Project Director Kendall Waite about the goals and vision of the Arizona Teachers Academy.
Kathleen then shares about how the Arizona Teachers Academy specifically supports new teachers through helping lessen student debt education graduates and through instruction-focused, non-evaluative mentorship. She talks with Michelle Doherty, who taught for 25 years in Osborn School District in Phoenix and is the 2017 Arizona Teacher of the Year, about Doherty’s experiences as a new teacher mentor and specifically about how mentoring looks this year as she works with teachers providing virtual instruction. Kathleen also talks about the multiple events that are a part of the Arizona K12 Center’s Beginning Teachers Series, which are available to all new teachers in Arizona, not just those who are a part of the Arizona Teachers Academy.
3Ps host Donnie then talks with Waite more about the National Board Certification piece of the Arizona Teachers Academy, which can help candidates save up to $1,900 through the NBCT process. Waite lists these steps to be eligible for National Board Certification funding through the Arizona Teachers Academy:
- Step 1: Complete a pre-candidacy course through the Arizona K12 Center or your district. (The Center’s next National Board Pre-Candidacy Class is just about to close! Register at azk12.org/events to join us.)
- Step 2: Complete the National Board Institute through the Arizona K12 Center.
- Step 3: At the end of the National Board Institute, you will receive the application for funding. In seven days, you’ll know if you’re approved for funding or not.
- Step 4: Attend National Board Kickoff.
- Step 5: Attend monthly National Board support meetings, organized geographically
- Step 6: After submitting a component, you will receive your score report, which you must also share with the Arizona K12 Center
- Step 7: Teach in an Arizona public school for at least one year after the submission of your components
- Donnie then talks with Jessica D’Ambrosio, a teacher in Higley Unified School District who is pursuing National Board Certification, about why she decided to pursue becoming an National Board Certified Teacher, what has encouraged her along the way, and more about her journey thus far.
Learn more about the Arizona K12 Center at azk12.org.