In order to apply for designation as a Master Teacher the applicant must minimally:
- Possess minimum of 3 years teaching experience.
- Achieve National Board Certification or successfully complete components 2 or 3 with a score of 2.75 or higher.
- Have a baccalaureate degree and be fully licensed in the subject or grade level currently teaching.
- Must show evidence of meeting the Highly Qualified Criteria.
- Possess positive teaching evaluations, with no formal plans of improvement related to their job performance anytime in the three years prior to application.
The Arizona K12 Center awards financial assistance to districts to create and sustain a mentoring and induction program. This is a competitive process and applications are due on January 30th. Districts that are selected enter into sub-contract agreements with the Arizona K12 Center/NAU yearly for up to 3 years.
To qualify, the district, school, or specified sites within a district must meet at least two of these requirements:
- 60% or higher poverty
- 25% or higher teacher turnover (Have lost and hired an average of 25% or more teachers new to the school/district in the last three years)
- Any middle school or high school
- Underperforming or not meeting AYP for two years