GEAR UP Summer Math Institute
Learn how to instill your math classes with moments of recognition and connection that help students learn and retain.
Dr. Mike Flynn, Director of Mathematics Leadership Programs at Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts, will lead middle school and high school math teachers through three days of learning and inspiration at this summer’s Arizona GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) Summer Math Institute.
Building on the work of Chip Heath and Dan Heath in the book The Power of Moments, Flynn takes the research about what causes us to remember certain moments and applies it to how we teach math so that we can create powerful learning experiences in our math classes.
All Arizona math educators and school leaders can attend the Arizona GEAR UP Summer Math Institute to learn how to help Arizona students succeed.
- Participants will learn how to identify and address the needs of diverse groups of students in regards to algebra instruction.
- Participants will learn new strategies to implement in their classrooms.
- Participants will work to plan instruction vertically across grade levels to ensure a high impact on students.
The Arizona GEAR UP Summer Math Institute is a part of Arizona GEAR UP, which strengthens the pipeline leading to educational attainment in Arizona in two ways:
- One, by increasing high school graduation and postsecondary enrollment for thousands of students from diverse communities across Arizona.
- And two, by leveraging resources to support Arizona’s education priorities and expanding capacity to make local and state initiatives possible.
Registration includes participation and materials for the three days of breakouts and keynotes. Participants may choose to register with or without accommodations.
Meals provided include:
June 16: Breakfast, Lunch, Beverages
June 17: Breakfast, Lunch, Beverages
June 18: Breakfast, Beverages