Characteristic of Learning: Authentic
Level of Technology Infusion Into the Curriculum: Entry
Lesson Title School Uniforms: What Do You Think?
Grade Level: 2
Whole group instruction, using a projector and / or interactive white board
Arizona Common Core State Standards: ELA
Write opinion pieces in which they introduce the topic or name the book they are writing about, state and opinion, supply a reason for the opinion, and provide some sense of closure.
Write informative/explanatory texts in which they introduce a topic, use facts and definitions to develop points, and provide a concluding statement or section.
Arizona Educational Technology Standards (2009)
Strand 1 Creativity and Innovation: Grades 1 and 2
Concept 1 Knowledge and ideas
PO 1 Evaluate information to generate ideas
- Students will evaluate schools dress codes by viewing and discussing a Keynote presentation with information on school dress code.
- Students will create a functional text by writing a friendly letter to the principal that includes their feelings in relation to school uniforms.
- The teacher will display a slideshow presentation (from Slideshare) that includes information and pictures on school uniforms.
- Presentation has pictures and discussion points.
- Main discussion point:
- Your principal has seen that schools across America are changing their dress code by adding a school uniform. He/she would like to do the same thing here at your school. Do you think having uniforms at our school is a good idea?
- Write a letter to your principal explaining whether you are for or against school uniforms. Be sure to include your thoughts and feelings on your reasoning. You must have at least three reasons supporting your stance on the topic.
* An adaptation for Kindergarten, would be to have the students draw a picture to give to the principal that shows how they feel about school uniforms.
- Access to Internet – if no access to Internet, create a Slideshare account and download presentation prior to lesson
- Slideshare access or account
- Paper and pencils for writing assignment
A rubric will be used to assess the completed letter.
Sample rubrics to use:
or one can be created using http://rubistar.4teachers.org/