Characteristic of Learning: Active
Level of Technology Infusion Into the Curriculum: Adoption
Lesson Title: Story Elements Active!
Grade Level: 2
One to one, in a computer lab setting: or
One to one, with individual student laptops
Arizona Common Core Standards: ELA
Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot.
Comprehension and Collaboration
Recount or describe key ideas or details from a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media.
Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas
Create audio recordings of stories or poems; add drawings or other visual displays to stories or recounts of experiences when appropriate to clarify ideas, thoughts, and feelings.
Research to Build and Present Knowledge
Recall information from experiences or gather information from provided sources to answer a question.
Arizona Educational Technology Standards (2009)
- Strand 6: Technology Operations and Concepts
- Concept 2: Application
- PO 3: Use Multi Media presentation programs to create simple class assignments.
- PO 4: Identify and use common navigational elements of a web page.
- PO 5: Demonstrate appropriate use of log-in procedures.
- The students will engage in learning about literary elements using the online program: Learner.org: http://learner.org/interactives/story/index.html
- The students will demonstrate knowledge in navigation within this program.
- Teacher will read aloud the story Cinderella.
- In Lab or classroom: Each student or pair of students will sit at a computer with headphones. (If pair of students, earphone jack splitter will be used to attach 2 sets of headphones to each.)
- Each student will access the website: http://learner.org/interactives/story/index.html
- Each student will navigate through the website, listening and doing the activities.
- Following the last sequence of frames, the student will review by creating a graphic organizer, using paper and pencil or the ReadWrite Think website: http://www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/interactives/storymap/index.html
- Book: Cinderella (or other story of teacher's choice)
- Computer Lab or laptops
- Headphones (headphone jack splitters if computer is being shared)
Teacher will monitor student understanding as they progress through the activities in the Lab. The teacher will evaluate understanding of the literary elements through review of the graphic organizers created by students. Students will print their organizers and hand in.