In this week’s episode of the 3Ps in a Pod, Dr. Rita Hartung Cheng shared both about her background and work as President of Northern Arizona University and some of the details of the Arizona Teachers Academy. Learn more about Dr. Cheng’s background here. Find out more about the Arizona Teachers AcSep 26, 2019
In this week’s episode of the 3Ps in a Pod, Dr. Rita Hartung Cheng shared both about her background and work as President of Northern Arizona University and some of the details of the Arizona Teachers Academy. Learn more about Dr. Cheng’s background here.
Find out more about the Arizona Teachers Academy and Governor Doug Ducey’s action plan for the Academy on the Governor’s Office of Education webpage. Then, visit each of the partnering universities’ websites to see how they’re carrying out the program.
- Arizona State University
- Maricopa Community Colleges
- Northern Arizona University
- University of Arizona
Dr. Cheng also mentioned her love of hiking and reading, including what books are currently on her bedside table.
- Sustainability: A Love Story by Nicole Walker: Dr. Cheng noted how Walker’s collection of personal essays “about northern Arizona and the richness of our environment” are the perfect length to read in one sitting.
- Small Teaching Online: Applying Learning Science in Online Classrooms by Flower Darby and James M. Lang: Find out more about Small Teaching Online in this interview from Inside Higher Ed.
Even Dr. Cheng’s reading choices for leisure include plenty of learning. After all, she noted in the podcast how powerful education has been in her life.
“The pursuit of education made a difference in my life and everyday I see the promise that education holds for the future.”
Encourage a pre-service teacher to continue to expand their learning with these upcoming Fueled for Success events especially for them:
- Tuesday, October 15, on NAU’s Flagstaff campus: Technology Integration with Tony Vincent
Tony Vincent is “a digital pioneer” who brings great ideas and a load of fun to every event. To learn more, explore his website, Learning in Hand, or find him on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, or YouTube.
- Wednesday, November 6, on NAU’s Flagstaff campus: Creating Engaging Learning Spaces with Beth Maloney and James King
Beth Maloney is the 2014 Arizona Teacher of the Year and currently teachers fifth-grade science and social studies in Dysart Unified School District. She is a National Board Certified Teacher and has also taught kindergarten and third grade. Learn more about Beth Maloney by reading her most recent blog posts on Stories from School AZ or by watching this YouTube video.
James King is an English teacher at Sunnyslope High School in Glendale Union High School District. Learn more about James King by reading his recent blog posts on Stories from School AZ or watching this YouTube video.
Two more Fueled for Success events are set for January 28 and April 22 in our Professional Learning Center in Phoenix. Learn more here.
NAU education students are also invited to There’s a Reason I’m a Teacher (TARIAT) Conference 2020. Mark your calendars now for April 3, 2020!