Characteristic of Learning: Authentic
Level of Technology Infusion Into the Curriculum: Entry
Lesson Title: What’s the Evidence? (How do rocks and fossils show that environmental conditions have changed over geologic and recent time?)
Arizona State Content Standards
Concept 1: Structure of the Earth
Arizona Common Core State Standards ELA
Research to Build and Present Knowledge
Recall relevant information from experiences or gather relevant information from print or digital sources; summarize or paraphrase information in notes and finished work, and provide a list of sources.
Arizona Educational Technology Standards (2009)
- Strand 3: Research and Information Literacy
- Concept 2: Processing, Locate, organize, analyze, evaluate, synthesize, and ethically use information from a variety of sources and media.
- PO 4. Synthesize research information to create new understanding.
- Students will identify how rock and fossil records show how the environment has changed over time by creating a KWL chart as a class.
- Create a KWL (What do I Know, What do I Want to Know, What I Learned) chart about how rocks and fossils can show how the Earth has changed over time. Students and teacher will fill out the K and W section of the chart together. Students and teacher will use a pre-created KWL chart from Microsoft Word or another similar application.
- Students will watch Natural Phenomena: Rocks Fossils and Earth History via a projector, as a class.
- Teacher will facilitate a discussion regarding what students learned about how rocks and fossils can show how the Earth has changed over time.
- Students will fill out the L section of the KWL chart on their own paper while teacher types the information into a KWL chart on the computer connected to a projector. Students will cite the video they acquired the information from.
- Natural Phenomena: Rocks Fossils and Earth History
Maslowski Wildlife Productions, 1998. Full Video. 2 September 2010. <http://www.discoveryeducation.com/>
- Microsoft Word, Google Docs docs.google.com, Apple Pages, other word publishing – KWL chart
- (interactive white board optional)
- Teacher will review each student's worksheets, paying specific attention to the L column of the KWL Chart, for evidence of understanding of the concept.