Characteristic of Learning: Authentic
Level of Technology Infusion Into the Curriculum: Adoption
Lesson Title: Digital Water Conservation Posters
Grade Level: 4
This lesson can be conducted in any of the following configurations:
Whole group activity, with small groups using mobile laptops simultaneously
Small group, using classroom computers or mobile laptops as rotating stations
One to one, using classroom computers or mobile laptops as rotating stations
One to one, in a computer lab setting
One to one, with individual student laptops
Arizona Common Core State Standards: ELA
Production and Distribution of Writing
Produce clear and coherent writing in which development and organization are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
With some guidance and support from adults, use technology, including the Internet, to produce and publish writing as well as to interact and collaborate with others; demonstrate sufficient command of keyboarding skills to type a minimum of one page in a single setting.
Arizona Educational Technology Standards (2009)
- Strand 1: Creativity and Innovation
- Concept 4: Original Works
- PO 1 Use digital creativity tools to create original works.
- Strand 6: Technology Operations and Concepts
- Concept 2: Application select and use applications effectively and productively
- PO 2. Compose a document that applies intermediate formatting.
- The students will explain water conservation using digital tools to create a poster that illustrates how to save water.
- Teacher will provide instruction on water conservation.
- Discuss importance of saving water
- Watch: The Importance of Water – Segment 9: Conserving Water (1:04)
or Save Water Save Life
- Teacher and students will discuss and generate a list of how they can save water
- Can refer Ideas for Water Conservation by kids for ideas http://www.watereducation.utah.gov/conservation/KidsKorner.asp
- or Water Conservation for kids http://www.watereducation.utah.gov/conservation/default.asp
- Students will use a digital illustration tool, designated by the teacher, to create a poster about water conservation.
- Digital Illustration tools can be, but are not limited KidPix, Pixie, Paint, Tux Paint, One Motion, and Pages.
- The Importance of Water-Segment 9: Conversing Water (1.04)
- Available from Discovery Education
or Save Water Save Life
- Web resources for teaching about water conservation.
- Down the Drain
- 100 Ways to conserve
- Water Conservation for Kids
- Software: KidPix, Pixie, Paint
- Computers for student use
- Teacher will give ongoing feedback to students and evaluate the completed posters.
- Teacher and students will create rubric together using rubistar.4teachers.org/