Characteristic of Learning: Active
Level of Technology Infusion Into the Curriculum: Infusion
Lesson Title: Space, the Final Frontier
Grade Level: 5 (or 7)
Whole group activity, with small groups using mobile laptops simultaneously, or
Small group using handheld devices and voice recorder
Arizona State Content Standards
Science: (Below are the 5th grade standards. This lesson also aligns to the 7th grade Strand 6 concept 3 standards)
- Strand 6: Earth and Space Science
- Concept 3: Earth in the Solar System
- PO 1: Identify the known planets of the solar system.
- PO 2: Describe the distinguishing characteristics of the known planets in the solar system.
- PO 3: Describe various objects in the sky.
- PO 4: Describe the change in position and motion of the following objects in the sky over time.
- PO 5: Explain the apparent motion of the sun and the stars.
- PO 6: Describe efforts to explore space (e.g., Apollo missions, space shuttles, Hubble space telescope, space probes).
Arizona Common Core Standards: ELA
Research to Build and Present Knowledge
Conduct short research projects that use several sources to build knowledge through investigation of different aspects of a topic.
Recall relevant information from experiences or gather relevant information from print and digital sources; summarize or paraphrase information in notes and finished work, and provide a list of sources.
Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas
Report on a topic or text or present an opinion, sequencing ideas logically and using appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details to support main ideas or themes; speak clearly at an understandable pace.
Adapt speech to a variety of contexts and tasks, using formal English when appropriate to task and situation.
Arizona Educational Technology Standards (2009)
- Strand 3: Research and Information Literacy
- Concept 2: Processing
- PO 4: Use appropriate digital tools to synthesize research information and develop new ideas.
- Strand 4: Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, Decision Making
- Concept 1: Investigation
- PO 1: Write essential questions to investigate a topic or issue using digital tools and resources.
- Concept 2: Exploring Solutions
- PPO 1: Plan and manage research using credible digital resources to develop solutions to answer a question.
- PO 2: Generate solutions from different perspectives using collected resources and data.
- Strand 6: Technology Operations and Concepts
- Concept 2: Application
- PO 5: Create multimedia presentations with multiple pages, audio, and transitions for individual assignments.
- Students will research and apply their knowledge of Planets & Space, to create a podcast about Space and a planet.
- Students will use audio editing software to build and publish the final audio file.
The students will:
- Be divided into groups.
- Brainstorm essential questions to investigate during research, with guidance from teacher.
- Audio recorder, such as handhelds with Voice Recorder, USB microphone, headset microphone
- Audacity, the free open source audio editing software, audacity.sourceforge.net/
- or GarageBand for the Mac
- Writing paper and pencils
- Books and/or Internet access for research
Teachers can assess the process using a rubric and a group self-assessment tool created through Rubistar.(http://rubistar.4teachers.org/)
Teachers can assess the projects using a rubric created through Rubistar (http://rubistar.4teachers.org/)
Alternative assignment options:
- Groups research a series of planets
- A space topic such as position and motion
- Asteroids and Comets
- Space as a whole
- Space Travel